Scandals of 2011
BATON ROUGE, LA (FOX44) – This year was full of scandals, ranging from the silly to the sickening. Here's a look back at all the big ones.
– Charlie Sheen claimed he was “winning” but he looked like Hollywood’s biggest loser after hurling vile insults at his bosses.
– Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver terminated their 25-year marriage after Arnold admitted to fathering their housekeeper's son.
– Washington D.C. was competing with Hollywood in the "sex-capades." New York congressman Anthony Weiner resigned after tweeting lewd pictures of him to women.
– Democratic Presidential candidate John Edwards was indicted on charges he used illegal campaign donations to hide his pregnant mistress. He's pleading not guilty.
– And Republican candidate Herman Cain suspended his presidential campaign after denying sexual harassment allegations and allegedly cheating on his wife.
– And in New York, a hotel maid accused the head of the international monetary fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, of attempted rape. The charges were later dropped.
– Scandals ranged far beyond "he said, she said." In "Operation Fast and Furious," federal agents lost track of more than a thousand guns they intended to trace from their illegal purchase in Arizona till they reached drug cartels in Mexico. But two lost guns were found back in Arizona where a U.S. border patrol agent died in a shootout.
– For years, the Air Force was cremating partial remains and dumping the ashes in a landfill with families never knowing. This is all part of the mismanagement at the at Dover Air Force base's mort in Delaware.
–A media giant was under fire. Rupert Murdoch shuts down his British tabloid, “News of the World”. The paper was accused of hacking the phones of celebrities, politicians and even the voice mail of a murdered teenager.
–Scandals even rocked the sports world. Syracuse University basketball coach Bernie Fine is fired after some men say he molested them as boys. Fine says he's innocent.
–And Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State football coach has been charged with sexually abusing a number of boys he says he was mentoring. Head Coach Joe Paterno and other top officials were forced out for failing to alert police after an assistant says he told them he believed he saw Sandusky molesting a child. That's a story we know we'll be following in 2012.