Thousands of 2007 tax returns unfiled

Millions of dollars in refunds available

Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 4:41pm

BATON ROUGE, La (FOX44) — If you haven't filed your 2007 income tax returns, you could be missing out on a big check.

More than a million people across the country still haven't filed a federal income tax return for 2007. "Sometimes people just get in the cycle of not filing," says Senior Tax Consultant Diane Denton.

In Louisiana, that number sits around 19,500. Some say they're not surprised. "I've heard a lot of people not wanting to pay taxes for personal reasons," says taxpayer Trevor German.

More than 20 million dollars are up for grabs. The average refund in the Bayou State is more than 660 dollars. "That could pay someone's light bill, someone's car bill, food payment. I would say anybody needs that extra 660 dollars."

It's not too late to get that return. The IRS gives taxpayers a three-year window to file their returns without penalty. "That's surprising," says German. "There might have been a couple of times I'd have taken advantage of that."

The deadline to file is fast approaching. If you haven't filed your return by April 18th of this year, that cash becomes property of the U.S. Treasury. All you have to do is mail your return by that date.

"We don't want people to lose the money they so richly deserve," explains Denton.

Nationwide, there is more than $1.1 billion waiting for more than a million people who didn't file their returns.

Tax forms for previous years are available on the Forms and Publications page of or by calling toll-free 1-800-TAX-FORM. If you're missing your W2, check with your employer, bank, or other payer. If that doesn't work, taxpayers can get a free transcript showing information from those year-end documents by calling 1-800-908-9946. You can also file a Request for Transcript of Tax Return with the IRS.

The Baton Rouge IRS office, located at 2600 Citiplace, will be open Saturday 9am to 2pm for extra help. All other days that office is open regular business hours.

In Baton Rouge, there are several sites around town that will help you file your tax returns. You can go to Catholic Charities on Acadian Thruway, The Delmont Service Center on Riley Street, and the Baton Rouge Office of Social Services on Plank Road.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment