BATON ROUGE, La.— On September 28, the Zoo welcomed the first black rhino baby in the Zoo’s 39-year history. Now, we invite you to name her!
The rhino naming contest begins today, November 9, and entries must be received by 5 p.m. November 20.
“The birth of our first baby rhino is a milestone for our Zoo,” Zoo Director Phil Frost said. “We thought there is no better way to share this momentous occasion with our community than to let them help us name her.”
The baby rhino is currently on exhibit daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., weather permitting.
How to enter THE NAMING CONTEST:
You may enter the contest online at http://www.brzoo.org; by mail (Attn: Naming Contest, P.O. Box 60, Baker, LA 70704); or in person at the Zoo or Whole Foods Market in Towne Center, 7529 Corporate Blvd.
· When registering online, click on “Rhino Naming Contest” to view the official contest rules.
· Enter your name and your contact information. Those under 18 years of age must include their parents’ or guardians’ name. Contest entries will be accepted from November 9 to 5 p.m. November 20.
· The Zoo will choose three names as finalists for the rhino. Hint: African names may have a better chance of being selected. These winners will receive a Zoo ticket prize pack, plus a $25 gift certificate from Whole Foods Market. Zoo visitors will be invited to vote for the winning rhino name at the voting boxes at the Zoo’s gift shop November 23 through November 29. Votes can be placed by making a contribution via coins into the slot representing a favorite name. The name with the highest total donations will be the winner. All proceeds support the Zoo’s efforts to provide excellent care for animals, a great experience for you, and a better future for all living things.
· The grand prize winner of the contest will receive a Friends of the Baton Rouge Zoo family membership, plush rhino, a $50 gift certificate from Whole Foods Market and a behind-the-scenes tour to meet baby and mom with their keepers. The grand prize winner (or a representative) must be available for the announcement at the Zoo’s Santa Safari event December 5.
· Employees (and their immediate family members) of the Baton Rouge Zoo and its contest sponsors are not eligible to win the naming contests.
Discover the animal kingdom at BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo, including elephants, giraffes, rhinos and alligators. Visitors can enjoy the new Flamingo Cove and Giants of the Islands, featuring the Zoo’s Chilean flamingos and Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises, as well as the Safari Playground, the Otter Pond, our exhibit featuring a replicated fishing cabin with underwater viewing of the otters, L'aquarium de Louisiane, Parrot Paradise and KidsZoo. Adults and children can ride the Cypress Bayou Railroad on a scenic ride through the unique Louisiana habitat that surrounds the core Zoo. The Zoo is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). Look for the AZA logo whenever you visit a zoo or aquarium as your assurance that you are supporting a facility dedicated to providing excellent care for animals, a great experience for you and a better future for all living things.
Visit us at http://www.brzoo.org