Bowling to boost Baton Rouge economy in 2017 and 2025

Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 11:00pm

Last summer wasn’t the first time the United States Bowling Congress made a stop in Baton Rouge for its annual Championships. It won’t be the last time either.

“Our experiences have allowed us to have an advantage over a lot of people. We know how to run them and run them efficiently,” East Baton Rouge Mayor Kip Holden said Wednesday.

After the 2012 USBC Open Championships that generated an estimated $113.2-million economic impact on the Baton Rouge economy, the city wanted to lock in future dates as soon as possible. In doing so they secured the Women’s Championships in 2017 and the 2025 Open Championships

“For the women bowlers this has become a crowned jewel for them,” Holden said.

The women’s event is expected to bring in an estimated $38-million to local businesses across the city.

Visit Baton Rouge President and CEO Paul Arrigo says the city will have much to offer this time around as opposed to the last time the women made a stop 20 years ago.

“Since then we’ve built the Mall of Louisiana, Perkins Rowe and Towne Center. We have more shopping and entertainment opportunities than when we held it in 1993,” Arrigo said.

The Open Championships won’t be back until 2025 but Mayor Holden says it’s well worth the wait.

“This is the largest participatory sporting event in the nation. These people become ambassadors. We get a chance to showcase Baton Rouge and really showcase downtown,” Holden added.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment