5 simple steps to managing stress
(CNN) — Terrorism, shootings, international unrest...the world is full of turmoil right now and for some, that's a lot of pressure to handle.
But mental health experts say there are ways you can deal with stress so it doesn't become a serious problem.
It's a tough world out there...and for some people, all this upheaval can be upsetting. Many become stressed out.
But psychologists say, there are ways you can deal with anxiety that can keep depression away:
- Exercise. Doctors say the best thing to do is to keep busy and get the endorphins pumping, which can make anyone feel better.
- Watch your salt and sugar. Lowering both of these in your diet helps your whole body work better, including your brain.
- Get more vitamin D. Studies have shown that a lack of vitamin D can add to the blues. Best way to get vitamin D? From the sun. So get out for short periods of time and enjoy the outdoors.
- Hang with friends or loved ones. Being around people you like can make you a happier person.
- Relax. Try a yoga class, or meditation. Research shows that even 15 minutes of meditation can cut down on stress.
And if you find things don't get better, seek professional help. Depression is a serious condition, but it can be treated.