CENTRAL, LA — Unattended cooking material was the cause of a house fire in the 3000 block of Pensacola Dr. on Tuesday morning, according to the Central Fire Department.
CFD was dispatched at 8:47 am and arrived to find the kitchen on fire with the rest of the home rapidly filling with smoke
All of the occupants of the home had evacuated prior to the fire department's arrival. Firefighters quickly entered the home and extinguished the fire, limiting damage to the home at approximately $32,000.
The homeowner stated she had completed cooking and walked to the rear of the home. A short time later she heard popping noises and returned to the front of the house, finding the kitchen on fire.
CFD would like to remind the public that unattended cooking material is one of the leading causes of residential fires nationwide.
Eastside and Baton Rouge Fire Departments assisted CFD and the American Red Cross assisted the displaced family.