Child playing with lighter starts blaze at Cedarcrest apartment

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - 1:00am

A child playing with a lighter is believed to have sparked a fire that caused $6,000 worth of damage.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reports that the incident occurred shortly before noon on Monday, Sept. 3 at an apartment located on Cedarcrest. When firefighters arrived on scene they found the blaze in the upstairs bedroom.

We’re told they quickly extinguished the fire.

Investigators say a child was playing with a lighter and accidentally started the fire. A Baton Rouge Fire Department Fire Prevention Officer was called to the scene to council the child. We’re told the juvenile will be entered into a fire education program.

No one was hurt.

Click here to view a video with tips on how to talk to your children about fire safety. 

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment