Satellite Warnings
7 Day Forecast 7 Day Forecast

Clinton man dies in fire started by unattended cigarette

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 - 6:00pm

An early morning fire in Clinton has left one man dead.

Fire Marshal Butch Browning says the fire most likely started after a cigarette was left unattended and burning on the man's couch where he was lying.

He says a neighbor heard the man's smoke alarm around 3:00 a.m., but didn't smell anything.

That same neighbor woke up three hours later, at 6:00 a.m., smelled smoke and called the fire department, but it was too late.

None of the other units in the apartment complex had any damage.

Browning says they're now trying to figure out why the man didn't wake up when the fire started.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment