CHALMETTE, LA (FOX44) — Two men were arrested and charged with negligent homicide after a man died from a drug overdose. Officials say the two knew that the situation was critical, but they allegedly waited to call for help until it was too late.
The St. Bernard Parish Sheriff’s Office reports that the incident occurred on December 10, 2012 at a home located in the 3600 block of Delambert Street in Chalmette. Officials say Andrew Brady, 22, and Gregg Sampson, 52, were aware that the third man was overdosing, but did not call 911 until they found him unresponsive.
During initial interviews with investigators, Brady and Sampson stated that they knew he was intoxicated, but their first indication of something being wrong was when they found him unconscious. However, in later interviews they allegedly told a different story.
“In subsequent interviews they acknowledged they realized the man was overdosing after he got to their residence and put him in a cold shower, which seemed to revive him, and he was placed on a sofa and covered, where he went to sleep,” Sheriff Pohlmann said.
Investigators believe the man’s condition was recoverable if help had been called for when they first noticed indications of distress.
“Their actions in not calling earlier and leaving the man unattended on a sofa were negligent,” Sheriff Pohlmann said. “A judge issued arrest warrants for Brady and Sampson in late January, after they had moved from the residence where the incident happened.”
Brady and Sampson were arrested on Thursday, Jan. 31 for Negligent Homicide, which carries a 5 year sentence.
Brady was also charged with one count of Burglary for an unrelated case.
Brady is being held in lieu of $65,000 bond and Sampson in lieu of $50,000 bond.