Gas stored in bedroom ignites, causes blaze near gates of LSU

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 7:00pm

One man escaped what could have been a deadly house fire this afternoon.

Neighbors tell NBC33 News that flames burst out of a house located on Van Buran Street outside the North Gates of LSU on Tuesday, April 2. The owner of the home says he had gas stored in the bedroom and fumes ignited, but he was able to get out safely.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department says they were there in three minutes to help put the fire out and minimize the damage.

A neighbor who asked not to be on camera says he saw the whole thing unfold.

“We were sitting on the porch and I though it was my house,” he said. “So I checked my house and saw a big cloud of smoke. Then I came through here and saw nothing but flames shooting out.”

The bedroom and attic above it were destroyed in the blaze. The rest of the home received smoke and water damage.

Investigators have ruled the case accidental.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment