LSU, Red Cross team to support Isaac response
Baton Rouge, La — LSU’s partnership with the American Red Cross during disaster relief efforts continues as volunteers, including students and faculty, support relief efforts across Louisiana. That collaboration ramps up this weekend as the Red Cross will fan out around Tiger Stadium to raise money for disaster relief efforts. Fans are invited to drop off coins, cash and checks.
Red Cross volunteers have been providing help and comfort to Louisiana residents since before Isaac’s landfall last week. Power outages linger as hundreds remain in Red Cross shelters in southeast Louisiana and thousands more receive snacks, meals, relief supplies, health and mental health services.
“LSU fans stepped up with other SEC schools last year when tornadoes ripped through Tuscaloosa and elsewhere, donating more than $8,000 at a baseball game,” said Bobbi Zaunbrecher, chapter executive of the Red Cross in South Louisiana. “We’re hopeful our generous football fans will top that figure for our neighbors affected by Isaac.”
The Red Cross, which responds to disasters every day in Louisiana communities, will continue helping residents get back on their feet. As of Wednesday evening, Red Cross services in state have included:
- More than 10,000 people have stayed in Red Cross shelters since Aug. 27.
- More than 100 emergency response vehicles are distributing meals and relief supplies.
- The Red Cross is serving thousands of meals a day in partnership with the Southern Baptist Convention. So far, the Red Cross has served nearly 300,000 meals and snacks.
- More than 1,600 trained Red Cross disaster workers are providing emotional support, food, water and supplies, such as clean up and personal hygiene items, coolers, shovels, rakes, tarps, gloves and masks to people in need.
- Trained health professionals serving with the Red Cross have provided more than 4,500 health services and mental health contacts.
- Red Cross caseworkers are meeting one-on-one with people to provide guidance and support.