Man rescued from home during fire
BATON ROUGE, LA (FOX44) — Baton Rouge firefighters responded to a fire at an apartment in the 5200 block of Hollywood Street Monday evening. They say the fire started in the kitchen and spread into the attic. They say one person was inside the home, but neighbors got him out before the fire department got there. Those who live near the apartment say a good Samaratian heard a woman's cry for help to get the man they say lived inside out.
"All I saw was the blaze coming out once I heard my daughter screaming (to get help)," Myrtis Woodside, who lives in the complex, said. "It was just really really. I don't know it took all the life out of me."
"I guy came from around the corner and pulled the door," Edie White, who lives next door to the apartment that caught fire, said. "The (the apartment renter) was trapped in laying down by the door. This guy pulled him out. The firemen came the paramedics and they took him to the hospital."
White who lives next door said she was terrified.
"I was hysterical I was scared to death because it was right next door to me. I've had a fire before, so I know what cold possibly happen," White said. "It was horrible. Fire coming out the roof of the apartment smoke everywhere coming all across coming in all our apartments it was bad. "
White said the she never got the name of the man that helped save her neighbor's life, but she'll never forget what he did.
"We are neighbors around here and we all love each other and look out for each other and to know he was in that house and couldn't get out it was heart breaking," White said. "!hen he pulled him out it was just a relief ."
"That makes me feel good, because I know there is still somebody out there that don't mind trying to help," Woodside said.
Firefighters have not released the name or the condition of the person who was rescued.