BATON ROUGE, LA (FOX44) — The St George Fire department worked two residential fires Sunday afternoon. There were no injuries at either fire. The Red Cross was called to assist the victims of both incidents.
The first was at 25921 Kendalwood Rd. near the Amite River. Units were dispatched at 11:14AM. They arrived at 11:34AM to find the wood frame house completely engulfed in flames. Because of the remote location, water had to be carried to the scene in tanker trucks. Prairieville FD provided a truck to assist with water supply.
The fire was under control at 12:34 PM, but the structure was a total loss. The fire was determined to have been caused by a short in an electric receptacle.
At 2:17PM while some units were still on scene at Kendalwood conducting salvage and overhaul operations, St George and BRFD were dispatched to an apartment fire at 9149 Ridge Pine #C. They arrived at 2:21PM to find heavy smoke and fire coming from windows. The fire was under control at 2:36PM.
The apartment in which the fire originated was gutted by the fire, but the fire was contained to that unit. The two neighboring apartments suffered only very minor smoke.
The fire was caused by an unattended pot left on the stove.