LSU's Alex Bregman named quarterfinalist for Brooks Wallace Award as nation's top shortstop
BATON ROUGE, LA — LSU freshman Alex Bregman has been named to the 2013 Brooks Wallace Shortstop of the Year Award Watch List.
The Brooks Wallace Award, sponsored by Mizuno, recognizes the nation's top shortstop and will be presented during the College Baseball Hall of Fame's Night of Champions on June 29 in Lubbock, Texas.
The SEC leads all leagues with five representatives on the watch list. Other conferences with multiple representatives include the Pac-12 with four, the Big 10 with three and the ACC and Ohio Valley with two each.
Bregman is LSU’s leading hitter, batting .414 (72-for-174) with 11 doubles, seven triples, five homers, 41 RBI, 45 runs and 10 stolen bases. He leads the SEC in batting average, hits, runs scored, total bases and triples.
The Albuquerque, N.M. native has been invited to join Team USA for its 33-game international tour this summer.
2013 BROOKS WALLACE AWARD WATCH LIST
- Trea Turner North Carolina State ACC
- Branden Cogswell Virginia ACC
- Thomas Lindauer Illinois Big 10
- Michael Basil Indiana Big 10
- Kirby Pellant Ohio State Big 10
- Austin Fisher Kansas State Big 12
- Sutton Whiting Louisville Big East
- Brent Graham Campbell Big South
- Brock Niggebrugge Delaware Colonial
- Alex Allbritton New Mexico Mountain West
- Reed Harper Austin Peay Ohio Valley
- Dylan Bosheers Tennessee Tech Ohio Valley
- Kevin Newman Arizona Pac-12
- Drew Stankiewicz Arizona State Pac-12
- J.J. Altobelli Oregon Pac-12
- Andy Peterson Oregon State Pac-12
- Alex Bregman LSU SEC
- Adam Frazier Mississippi State SEC
- Austin Anderson Ole Miss SEC
- Mikey Reynolds Texas A&M SEC
- Vince Conde Vanderbilt SEC
- Aaron Attaway Western Carolina Southern
- Carter Burgess Sam Houston State Southland
- Tyler Vaughn Troy Sunbelt
- Tyler Shryock CSU Bakersfield WAC